Saturday, March 13, 2010

Avocado/Guacamole Bread

This was the next recipe in our Healthy Bread in 5 Minutes bread group.  I would love to share the recipe, but can't, due to copyright issues.  Guess you'll just have to buy the book!  (Its a gem, I promise)  First of all, I have to say that this is really good tasting bread.  At least that's what Hubby tells me.  I made a few rolls with about 1/2 lb of this dough that he quickly devoured.  They had a great crumb and a nice chewy crust.  (You'll have to take my word for it, because they disappeared before I got a picture).  So.. that's the good news.
     The bad news is that I am still not getting a decent raise or oven spring.  I added a mashed potato to see if that would help and put in a little extra gluten.  My poor loaves still came out so flat they could pass for foccacia.  Rats!
     I've about decided it must be my oven because I gave some freshly milled flour to my daughter to try and she ended up with a beautiful loaf of Master Recipe bread.. So.. I will be testing my oven before I try the next recipe.
I refuse to get discouraged..I am going to figure this out if it kills me!  LOL
Anyway. since I have much better luck with my filled breads, I used up the last of my dough this morning to make a rolled bread (think cinnamon rolls) that I cut and baked in muffin tins.  The filling is something I just winged- pretty much just putting together things that sounded like they would go with avocados and tomatoes.
Filling:
Mix together and spread over dough rolled out to a rectangle.
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup Pace Picante Sauce
Layer on top of sauce:
1 cup diced, cooked chicken
1/2 onion, thinly sliced, and sauted in olive oil.
2/3 cup jalapeno Monterrey Jack cheese (reserve a little to put on top of rolls)
Roll tightly starting with the long side.  Cut roll in 12 pieces, place in thoroughly greased muffin tins. Sprinkle some more cheese on top of each roll. Let rest for 20-30 minutes.  Bake at 425 for 25 minutes.

These were a total hit for lunch.  Hubby loved them!
(By the way, please excuse the muffin tin.. it is a well used one I inherited from my mom.  Even though it looks dreadful, I have found the older, darkened tins cook more evenly.)  Looks aren't everything-!  :)

8 comments:

  1. These look beautiful. Have you checked your oven to see if it is heating correctly. You might stick in an oven thermometer to make sure it is even.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of putting the rolls in the muffin tin looks like it worked great! My bread raised really great as you could see but the larger loaf was not quite done in the middle. I need to work on it too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think using something from your mother's kitchen is a wonderful way to pay tribute to her. I'm sure your lunch was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your filled muffins look yummy! I didn't get to make the avocado bread, but it sounds like it was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The filling sure sounds good and I'm going to keep it in mind for our next bread.

    Don't worry about your "black" muffin tin. I've several cookies sheets that I swear match it perfectly. I don't use them much any more but every once in a while I pull them out and I always think about the 1000's of cookies that have been baked and eaten over XX years!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These filled muffins sound delicious! Perfect for a grab-and-go snack.

    My breads haven't been getting much vertical rise either...I attribute it to the dough being so wet. I just made the olive dough for the next braid and accidentally added in a cup more flour than I should have. The dough was dryer and so the raise was much better. And the finished product wasn't dry at all! Got me to thinking...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those muffins looked soooo good. I love the muffin tin, just means that many good things were baked in it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Muffins look great. And so does the tin. Apparently men are not the only things that get better with age.

    ReplyDelete