Saturday, March 27, 2010

Success!!

I am so excited!  I actually got a loaf of bread, made with freshly milled flour, to raise well. (Doing the happy dance here!)  It turns out my problem may have been the wheat I have been using.  Although, wheat can be stored successfully for many years, older wheat may require kneading to develop its gluten.  At least that's my hypothesis at this point.  This loaf was made with white wheat that I just purchased this week.  (I plan to test this theory later by using my tried and true wheat bread recipe to see how it turns out with my stored wheat)
     Anyway, I am thrilled to finally have success with this method.  This carrot bread is a big hit around here.  It smelled so delicious as it was baking Hubby could hardly wait for it to cool enough to cut. The aroma just filled the house.  I used dried pineapple and Craisins for the dried fruit and pecans instead of walnuts. It is kind of a fun surprise- with the cinnamon and fruit you almost expect it to be a sweet bread, instead it is more like a flavorful raisin bread.  Although, I think it would make scrumptious cinnamon rolls with a cream cheese icing.  Think I will try that next time.  And, there will be a next time!  YUM

8 comments:

  1. Yay Mom! I'm so glad it finally worked out so well :). That bread looks delicious. If you want some guinea pigs to try the cinnamon rolls, just let Chris and me know :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Your Carrot Bread looks just like mine! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful loaf. I bet it feels good to have success. I hope you have your problem solved. I would like to try the pineapple. It sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your loaf looks great! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your carrot bread looks so good! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had my first success with this bread also. I loved it! But I also added more sugar and stuff to it. That never hurts! Your bread looks like it is full of yummy goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your carrot bread looks delicious! I'm glad you got it to rise well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always wanted to try to mill my own wheat. The bread turned out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete