Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Pesto Sunflower Seed Bread


This bread is our favorite so far.  I did change it up a bit by substituting roasted sunflower seeds for the pine nuts simply because we happen to really like sunflower seeds and pine nuts are outrageously expensive right now.  Since I didn't have my own pesto, I used some that I found in a local farmer's market- It was an import from Italy and it looked and smelled divine.  (I did, however, plant 2 basil plants this weekend so I have big pesto making plans for later on this year.  And, I am on the hunt for a red basil plant too..  Yep, BIG plans!)
      Sadly, I am still fighting with this method trying to get it to raise properly.  My first loaf was an artisan type.  It did double in size but instead of rising vertically it simply spread out.  And, I didn't get the big 'oven spring' that I keep reading about. But the aroma was 'to die for' and hubby didn't seemed inclined to complain that it was flat.. his mouth was too full chewing!  LOL  This is one I know we will make often.
      Figuring if you can't beat 'em, join 'em, I made the next two loaves in bread tins.  These came out so much better looking.  Someone suggested adding an extra cup of white flour.. think I may try that next time.  In the meantime, I will continue making these breads trying different things.. I love a good challenge!  Besides that they taste so good!!
      If you would like to see what others have done with this bread, I know Michelle would be delighted to have you visit our bread braid at Big Black Dog  Take some time to surf around her blog too- she has a site full of mouth-watering recipes!

11 comments:

  1. Marnie, I have been thinking about the spreading problem. Could it be that you are not shaping the loaves as tightly as you might? By this I mean are you getting a good skin or tension on your loaves? This helps them keep their shape quite a bit. There are several good you-tube videos on shaping. Michelle has posted some links. There is one fellow from a bakery in Montana that has great videos on getting good tension. Check Michelle's links. How frustrating as you seem to be doing everything else right.

    I also loved the pesto bread and I have some sunflower seeds that I am going to try. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point, Bonnie. You're right, I haven't concentrated on that. My dough is always so wet that I've been thinking more about just getting it formed into a reasonable facsimile of a ball. On my way to watch the you-tube videos.. Thanks, for the suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW...love the idea of sunflower seeds in this bread! I always put them in Potato Bread or at least sprinkle them on top.

    Don't forget to link this post in our March 31st Bread Braid!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing like baking success. Glad to hear you might have figured out that the older wheat does not work well with the no knead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was one of our favorite breads too. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea to use sunflower seeds! Your bread looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your pesto bread looks wonderful. I love sunflower seeds in bread, it has such a nice nutty taste and they don't get overly browned like some seeds do. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The pesto bread did smell delicious baking. I just bought basil seeds to get my herbs going again this year. Hope your plants do well!
    ~Jenny~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Toasted sunflower seeds..what a great idea, and I love them too. Your bread looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your bread looks great. One thing that is mentioned in ABinFive is not to get your water too hot when making the dough because that can harm the yeast. I think of the water temp. as if I were preparing a bath for a baby or child, nice and warm, but not hot.

    ReplyDelete